Getting In

As a sophomore in college, all eyes are on you. Parents, friends, extended family members, professors, employers, they're all wondering: "what's going to be her next move?"

With the constant pressure, it's no wonder we're so stressed out all the time. Balancing my schedule has become one of my biggest struggles in college. I always have to prioritize what is most important at that moment. However, that is always easier said than done.

I have always been told that I am an "old soul." And I love it. I listen to 80's hits and would rather hang out with my parents and their friends because that is my idea of fun. (The conversations are much more interesting.) With that being said, my goal for myself is to graduate early from college-as early as humanly possible, whatever it takes.

In this case, getting an internship was a smart step to take so early on in my college career. I figured getting an internship for college credit was the thing to do to get me on track for early graduation. So that's exactly what i'd do.

Little did I know that the program only allowed juniors and seniors to get an internship for credit. So that's it? That's what we get for getting a jump start on our career? Great.

I wouldn't take no for an answer. At this point I had already perfected my resume and cover letter, applied for over 50 internships, gone through the interview process, and got the formal invitation to accept the opportunity. All that work would definitely get it's reward.

After standing up for myself and allowing my superiors to see my potential, I finally got the approval to move forward with college credit for my internship. Finally! I am among few sophomores to get this opportunity, and I am grateful.

With the excitement running through my veins, I was more than excited to start my first day interning of a PR firm in Tampa. I was going to give it everything I had.

Comments